Dalgona coffee ( Korean: 달고나커피) or whipped coffee is the latest food trend, originated in South Korea and popularized in several social platforms such as TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube during the Covid-19 pandemic, when people couldn’t go out to their favorite coffee spot to get a Frappuccino, they started making home videos of whipping coffee, becoming a viral sensation (the hashtag #dalgonacoffee reached more than 162 million views on TikTok).
Named after a popular Korean spongy candy called dalgona (달고나), due to the resemblance in taste and appearance, though dalgona coffee is not made with dalgona.
This delicious beverage only needs four ingredients that probably you already have in your pantry, and it is super easy and fast to prepare, here is the recipe that makes three medium servings, and the method of preparation for you to enjoy.
• 3 tablespoons instant coffee
• 3 tablespoons Sugar
• 3 tablespoons hot water
• 2/3 cup milk of your choice
• 3-6 ice cubes
• 1 -2 disposable decorating bags (optional)
1. Place coffee, sugar and hot water in a large bowl.
2. Using a hand mixer or electric mixer, whisk until it reaches a thick and creamy consistency.
3. Fill 3/4 of the glass cups with milk and add the ice cubes.
4. Place the foamy whipped coffee on top of the milk,using a spoon or the disposable decorating bags.
5. Top it with caramel syrup, rainbow or chocolate sprinkles, and add a straw (optional).
6. Mix well before drinking. Enjoy!
• You can make a low-sugar or sugar-free version, but since the sugar is what makes the fluffy texture, it won’t be as fluffy as the one with sugar.
• You can use the milk of your preference, dairy or plant based.
• Coffee can be whipped with a whisk or fork, if an electric mixer is not available.