Caramel applesauce is a combination of homemade caramel with apple purée. It makes a great dessert, children treats, or birthday parties’ favorite dessert. Here is a simple recipe, very easy to make, and enjoyed by many.
- 8-10 lbs. apples.
- 2 cups water.
- 5 cups brown sugar.
- 2 limes juice.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter.
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon.
- 1 tbsp. salt.
- 12- 1/2 pint canning jars, with lids and rings.
- Prepare and process the canning jars, according to manufactures specifications. Sterilize and keep them hot.
- Wash, peel, and core apples. Keep them in cold water with citric acid or lime juice, to avoid browning.
- Cut them in quarters, place them in a deep saucepan.
- Add water and lime juice, cover, and cook at medium heat, stirring ocassionally, until they become soft.
- Mash the apples until they become puréed.
- Add butter, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Heat the mix just to a boiling point, stirr frequently, and remove from heat.
- Ladle the hot aple mixture into the hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2 in. head space.
- Remove air bubbles, clean the rim, and close each jar with a lid and ring.
- Process jars for 15 minutes (make the proper altitud adjustmentsif necessary), in a bolining water canner. Turn off the heat, romove canner lid, and let the jars inside for 5 minutes. Remove jars.
- Let the jars sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Test jars for air tight seals, according to manufacturer instructions. If jars are not completely sealed, recann them, or comsume the applesauce within a week.