Tofu is one of those type of food that you hate it or love it. Because there is nothing worse than a dull, wet, and unsavory tofu, the best way to cook it and eat it, is with some flavor and crisp.
Also, it’s a good idea to use extra-firm organic tofu instead or regular tofu, and Tamari® or amino-acids, instead of soy sauce, because soy normally is treated with herbicides, fertilizers or insecticides. Crispy tofu makes a great side dish, can be included in salads, or eat it alone as an alternative to healthy snacks. Here is a simple recipe to make crispy and delicious tofu.
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Bragg® Liquid Aminos
- Preheat oven: Preheat the oven at 400℉, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove tofu. Take the tofu out of its package, set it between two pieces of paper towels, and press with a heavy object on top such a pan or can. Press for approximately 15-20 minutes, until most of the water comes out.
- Slice tofu. First, slice tofu into sticks along the block, and then across, to make cubes. Spread the tofu in the baking sheet, sprinkle the cubes with some cornstarch to absorb the moisture left.
- Season tofu: Mix the salt, oil, cornstarch, and soy sauce or Bragg® Liquid Aminos, to make a uniform mix, brush the mix into the tofu cubes. This mixture will make the edges extra crisp and irresistible.
- Bake it. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, until the tofu turns in a golden color. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and place it on a table.
- Add flavor. To add extra flavor (optional), spread with a brush some soy sauce or Bragg® Liquid Aminos, applying in an even coat, on top of every cube of tofu, and let it cool for approximately 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Love fried tofu! This looks delicious & healthy 😊 Thanks.