Making yogurt at home is very easy and inexpensive, all you have to do is to find a yogurt culture, get some milk, wait 24 hours, and you have 100% natural yogurt that your family can enjoy every morning for breakfast.
Yogurt is a probiotic food, very nutritious and with many health benefits. Since yogurt is made by using active, “good” bacteria, it benefits the digestive tract, by adjusting the microflora (the natural balance of organisms) in the intestines or by acting directly on body functions, such as digestion or immune function. Also, since yougurt is made of milk, it provides proteins, vitamin D and calcium.
Yogurt has many health benefits, such as:
- Helps preventing osteoporosis.
- Reduces the risk of high blood pressure.
- Helps to maintain a healthy gut, preventing gastrointestinal conditions.
- Prevents vaginal infections.
Here is a simple recipe to make natural homemade yougurt:
- 2 liters of milk (any kind).
- 1 cup of plain yogurt.
- A yogurt making machine or cooler.
- Heat the 2 liters of milk until you reach boiling point or 180ºF.
- Remove from heat and let it sit until the temperature drops to 108-112ºF.
- Mix the milk with the yogurt.
- Place in a single container or individual cups.
- Place in the yogurt maker, or
- Place the container with the yogurt inside a cooler, along with 2 gallon container of boling water, close the cooler lid.
- Leave it 12 hours, or overnight.
- Refrigerate for approximately 3 horas, to stop the fermentation.
- Set apart a cup of made yogurt, to use it as a strain for your next batch.
- Add your favorite fruit, granola, or eat it plain.